Why do I get a “Flash required for recording video” error message when I try to use the Record Video function?
Often if you’re using Chrome the Record Media comment tool will show a spinning circle with a note saying “Flash required for recording video”.
This usually means that Flash is not enabled for this Canvas site by default.
To fix this:
Can I send an announcement to just one section of students?
Currently, No. However, you can send a message to all students in a section.
To do that:
- In the Global navigation menu, click Inbox
- From the All Courses dropdown menu, select the correct course.
- Click the Compose a new message feather icon
- Click the address book icon
- Click the Course sections link
- Select the desired section
- Type your message below the line
- Click send
Can students create a discussion topic?
By default, YES. You can disable this for discussions in your course in the More Options dropdown in the Settings button.
Using Gmail, how can I set up a filter that manages the influx of Canvas notifications?
- Put a tick in the checkbox next to an example of the message you want to filter
- Click the More dropdown button on the top menu bar
- Select Filter messages like these
You need to choose text in the subject line or the body of the email that is specific to that particular type of message. So for Message notifications, for example, adding the following into the Subject line field and replacing [course name] with your actual course name will select only the notifications of new messages from that particular course.
- Add into Subject field: ([course name]) just sent you a message
- Click Create filter with this search
- Select the options you wish to apply.
- Recommendation: select Apply the label and create a descriptive label for messages coming from that course.
- Create filter
Can I post to Twitter from Canvas?
No, you can’t. As an instructor, you will only be able to connect your Twitter account to your Canvas shell. Students will be able to see your tweets as you post them. For more information on connecting your Twitter account to your Canvas account, click here.
How do I communicate with individual groups in Canvas?
You can use the Conversations (Inbox) function to communicate with the individual groups in your course. When composing a message, click on the arrow next to Select course, and then select the group from the list. To learn more about conversations, refer to How to: Use conversations in Canvas.
Do I have to sign off announcements?
Yes, we recommend you to sign off every announcement you post. The reason for this is that when announcements are sent via email and students read them from their inbox, Canvas does not specify who the sender is. The details of the sender can only be viewed if the announcement is being read from within Canvas.
How do I stop students posting replies to announcements?
Adding course content links into announcements
You can add links in your announcements directly to content, assignments or course sections by using the content selector to the right of the rich text editor.
Check out the following guides for further help.
Can I send a message from the gradebook to students who have not yet submitted their assignment?
Resources & tutorials
- Creating (and sticking to!) a communication plan for your course
- How to: Communications in Canvas
- How to: Set notification preferences in Canvas
- Note: Using Sections in Canvas
Coming soon. If there’s something you’d like to see here, let us know.
- Collaboration and Canvas – Blackboard Collaborate: Ultra Experience
- How to: use Conferences in Canvas