What is Turnitin?
Turnitin is a text-matching software that assists students to demonstrate academic integrity in their work. It also allows instructors to easily provide feedback to students and assess their work quickly. Through Feedback Studio, instructors can engage students with targeted feedback.
How do I set up a Turnitin Assignment in Canvas?
There are two ways to set up a Turnitin assignment, however in order to ensure that the assessment is listed under the Assignments menu, we recommend you to follow the instructions below:
- Click on Assignments
- Click on Add Assignment (+ Assignment) button
- Enter the details for the assessment tasks (according to your design)
- In the Submission type section, select External Tool. Extra options will be presented to you
- In Enter or find an external tool URL, click on Find
- The Configure external tool window will pop up, chose Turnitin from the list and click Select
- Continue editing the assignment
- Click on Save
Once the assignment is saved, you will be taken to the assignment page, where you will see the Turnitin Assignment Inbox and Settings Tab. It is in here where you configure the settings for Turnitin, i.e.: originality report requirements.
- Ensure that the due date for each assignment is the same under Assignment Settings and Turnitin Settings. This is to avoid confusing students.
- You cannot use Turnitin with group assignments.
- Students cannot submit multiple file uploads.