Do you have separate cohorts of students in your course or program that require separate communication, management or access needs?
Student groups such as:
- Online and Face-to-Face students (sharing the same course code)
- VE students (different programs sharing the same course code)
- Research students (different programs sharing the same course code)
- Vertical studios (different course codes sharing the same course shell)
If so, you can use groups to:
- Release content (i.e. folder access) to a selected group or groups (using adaptive release)
- Provide group communication (i.e. group email, blog or wiki)
- View only students in your group in the grade centre (using smart views)
- Provide collaboration space for group work (assessment tasks and activities)
In this guide we will show you how to create and load groups into Blackboard using an Excel file ‘BB Group Maker‘ and a student list exported from iExplore.
- Go to iExplore and login with your RMIT ID and Password
To learn more about iExplore including guides, definition of terms and access request go to – iExplore is the SAMS data warehouse.
- From the main side menu under the heading Student List select ‘List by Course/Class’
- Enter search criteria for ‘Term’, ‘Subject Area’ and ‘Catalogue Number’.
Example: Term: 1645, Subject Area: GRAP, Catalogue Number: 5295C
For additional information about these codes please contact your admin team.
- Then scroll down and click ‘Search’
- Search results display a row for each class number. As we want a list of all students click on the ‘Course ID’ link from any row.
- Click ‘Export to excel’ to download the file.
- Download the Excel ‘BB_Group_Maker‘ file.
- Open ‘BB_Group_Maker’, when open click ‘Enable Content’ to run macros and launch the BB Group Maker window.
- In the BB_Group_Maker window click ‘Select iExplore File’, locate and select your file
- Select a student group option (eg Class)
For additional information about the selection options please contact your admin team.
- Click ‘Start’ to create your group files
- On completion you will receive an alert message stating that your files have been created in the same folder as your iExplore student file. Click ‘OK’ to close the alert message and the BB_Group_Maker file.
- Login to the Learning Hub and open your Blackboard site
For instructions on how to login go to – Staff log in to the Learning Hub (PDF, 426 KB, 4p)
- In the main side menu go to ‘Control Panel’, ‘Users and Groups’, then ‘Groups’
- In the Groups window click ‘Import’
- In the Import Groups window
- Under the heading Group Members click ‘Browse My Computer’ locate and select the ‘Group_members.csv’ file
- Under the heading Import Groups click ‘Browse My Computer’ locate and select the ‘Groups.csv’ file
- Select or deselect tool availability
- When complete click ‘Submit’
NOTE: to view all groups and number of enrolled members you may need to refresh the page.
The ‘BB_Group_Maker_v2016-10-21_CL’ tool is a modification of the ‘BB Group Maker’ tool created by Warren Nageswaran.