What are Announcements?
Announcements allow you to post messages to students and staff in your course. You can also optionally receive responses to posts, via replies or likes, essentially enabling a simple polling or acknowledgement function. In addition to the announcement posts within a course, users can receive notification based on their personal notification settings, including via RMIT email, alternate email and or SMS messaging.
Watch the video below for an introduction to Announcements.
How do I set up an announcement in Canvas?
To set up a basic announcement follow the steps below. See the tips and FAQs section for more options on announcements.
- From inside your course, select the Announcements button on the left hand menu.
- Click the red +Announcement button
- Add a topic title
- Add your message in the text editor. You can also add links to course content, course sections or assignments, videos or images.
- Attach a file if you wish
- Select the options you would like to enable
- Announcements can be searched or filtered by unread.
- Students can like or comment on announcements. Comment on announcements is on by default in the course settings.
- Announcements can be opened and closed to comments. Requires comments on announcements to be on in the course settings.
- Announcements can be used for external RSS feeds.
- Students can update their notification settings to additionally receive announcements via an alternative email address, or mobile phone.
Announcements guides [Canvas Community resources]
- Announcements are set to allow replies from students by default. If you would like to disable replies, you will find the setting in the Settings > Course details > more options > Disable comments on announcements
- If you refer to specific external resources (blogs, websites, news sites, etc.) you can set up the Announcements to forward specified external feeds. For further info see How do I add an external RSS feed to an announcement as an instructor?
- You can use announcements to collect student opinion on issues by using the reply and like functions. You can also use it to gather preferences without other student replies influencing later responders by preventing students from seeing replies until they’ve submitted their own response.
Do I have to sign off announcements?
Yes, we recommend you to sign off every announcement you post. The reason for this is that when announcements are sent via email and students read them from their inbox, Canvas does not specify who the sender is. The details of the sender can only be viewed if the announcement is being read from within Canvas.
How do I stop students posting replies to announcements?
Adding course content links into announcements
You can add links in your announcements directly to content, assignments or course sections by using the content selector to the right of the rich text editor.
Check out the following guides for further help.
How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as a student? [Canvas Community resources]