What is a Canvas Assignment?
A Canvas assignment can be any graded item; papers, quizzes, or even an in-class presentation. It can be anything you wish to record for a student.
Create Assignment Groups to categorise work or tasks such as attendance, discussions, papers, quizzes, etc. All groups can be used to create a weighted total for the final grade.
Customise submission types from students (you can restrict the kinds of files allowed); provide a URL; create a media recording as submissions for Assignments.
Designate Assignments as group work, customise the settings, and require peer reviews.
Assignments are automatically added to the Calendar and the course’s Syllabus area, and can be created directly from the Calendar
Speed Grader is tied to each Assignment.
- Submitted assignments are time and date stamped
- Students can resubmit their work for an assignment and their submission history is viewable by teachers
- Assignment groups can be used to categorise work or tasks such as attendance, discussions, papers, quizzes etc. All groups can be used to create a weighted total for the final grade.
- Assignments can be set as group work. You can customise settings and require peer review.
However it differs in that:
- The concept of an assignment is much broader in Canvas than in Blackboard. An Assignment in Canvas can be any assessment type.
- In Canvas you cannot create a grade column in the gradebook without creating as assignment first, however you are able to create ‘assignments’ that are for offline tasks (eg. in-class presentations).